Tuesday, October 9, 2007

the fat lady has sung

So last night I sat glued to my TV. and watched, painfully, as my Yankees threw away their entire season. I am sure that many Yankee fans will agree with me when I say that they had a rough season. But that doesn’t mean I didn’t watch every game faithfully, even when everyone else was starting to give up on them.
On Sunday night I felt pretty lucky, as I attended Game #3 at Yankee Stadium with my best friend. Before I left my father said, “It’s all over tonight, they’ll be losing soon.” But we went anyway. I arrived late and my team was down 3-0 at the bottom of the 3rd. They scored a run in the 4th and when it came to the 5th us fans praised Johnny Damon for his three- run homer that brought the score to 4-3. A hit by Robinson Cano later in the game, brought in another three runs, at this point I called my father: “How’s the game?” he asked, and all I said in reply was, “I don’t hear the fat lady yet dad.” Rivera came in to close the game leaving us with an 8-4 victory and saving Joe Torre’s job for one more day.

Things were looking up, or so we thought.
The Yankees pitcher, Wang, opened game 4 by giving up a lead off homerun to the tribe. The game wore on and us folks at home were worried, that is until Cano’s homerun in the 6th. His was followed by A-Rod & Bobby Abreu. “Here we go,” I thought, “this is the rally we need, we can come back again.” And then we go to the bottom of the 9th, 2 outs, man on third, Posada steps to the plate, the counts 1 ball- 1 strike, he takes a whack at the ball that comes right over the plate and smacks it far out to right just when I stand up to do a victory dance for our tie game, the ball strays foul by a hair. NO!!! He slowly returns to the plate only to swing at the next pitch to come down and boom, STRIKE 3, and Cleveland Wins the American League Division Series.
It was all over. The season gone, just like that. The Yankees watched miserably as Cleveland jumped up and down cheering and hugging eachother in The House That Ruth Built. That’s when I did the walk of shame to the TV. and shut it off. So now what? Well in a nutshell, manager Joe Torre will not be resigned for his 13th season, and the team is going to have to make a serious roster change as it lies in serious jeopardy of losing Alex Rodriguez, Bobby Abreu, Jorge Posada, and Mariano Rivera, all of which are free agents and have no set-binding contract to the team. So until next season.

No comments: