Sunday, December 2, 2007

Xmas in Rockefeller Center

This year I experienced for the first time, one of my new favorite things to do in New York City. It is an event that takes place once a year usually during the first week in December and draws a rather large crowd. Christmas in Rockefeller Center. I have always visited the great tree in the center every year since I was very young. My grandfather used to work on Fifth Avenue directly across from the tree in the center. Every year until he retired, my grandpa would take me to work with him on Christmas Eve day. At lunch time we would visit the tree and the fifth avenue windows. We would take a lot of pictures and take care of holiday shopping. Since he retired a few years ago, I make the trip once at Christmas with many of my friends.
A few years ago my mom had the idea to attend the lighting of the famous tree. So we went with her fiancĂ© and his son and upon arriving in mid-town Manhattan it was impossible to get within a single block of the tree. So the four of us settled to dinner in a restaurant and watched the lighting on television. We never tried to attend the lighting again. Instead we would watch it from the comfort of our own living room…
Until this year that is. I had the brilliant idea to brave it again. I got a few friends to agree to come with me and we decided we would leave Staten Island on the three oclock ferry to the city. Once we got off we ran to the R train and boarded for 34th Street and Herald Square. Once there we transferred to the F train to Rockefeller Center. Getting close to the tree was no easy feat and it was only 4:30. every corner we approached had a new rule on which direction you were allowed to go in and the police officers were in no way coordinated with eachother.
The four of us were about to give up as we walked into Starbucks on 47th Street. Once we warmed up a bit we decided we didn’t want to quit, we came to see the Tree. So back we went to the center. Finally we found a nice officer who used to work with my uncle and we were able to get into a “pen” on 49th street and Rockefeller Plaza. Now we only had an hour and a half to wait before the festivities began. So we occupied ourselves by playing silly movie trivia games and singing Christmas Songs.
The show began at 7PM sharp with a performance by the Radio City Rockettes. Hosted by Al Roker, Nick Lachey, and Ashley Tisdale, the show went on with performances by Josh Groban, Celine Dion, Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift, and many more including the amazing Tony Bennet. Although it was considerably cold we had the best time and it wasn’t long before the countdown began to light the eighty foot tall tree. After counting down from ten the tree was lit and looked just as amazing as it does every year. I got to see it with a new appreciation because I had seen what it looked like without its new energy efficient lights.
The crowd there was huge and everyone was in the holiday spirit. It was a really good night and I can’t wait to go next year. From now until New Years Eve the tree will remain lit everyday for people all across the country to see.

No comments: